- The beginning
Who is the website www.daugiaubalanso.lt aimed at and how can it be useful?
On this website you will find many useful tips to help you better balance work and personal life. No matter your current life situation – whether you have young children or are caring for your elderly or sick loved ones, or want to balance your studies and work, or you are a professional athlete, etc.
The information available on this website is divided into three main sections: information for employees, for employers, and for families. Each of these sections discusses the key issues to help find a better balance between your personal life and work responsibilities. If you are an employer or work in a managerial position, the section for employers will provide you with information on how to create a better working environment for your employees and what steps should be taken to implement a work-life balance friendly policy in your organization.
You can also use the “Resources” section to learn more about this topic. The “Resources” section provides information about current legal acts, national and international research in this field, and other useful sources – books, websites and podcasts.
Test: do I have a good work-life balance?
To determine if you are able to successfully balance work and personal life, please answer the following questions:
- Do you often work overtime?
- Have you missed an important personal life event (such as your child’s concert) because of work?
- Do you often decline to meet up with friends in the evening, go to the gym or a theatre play, or postpone/cancel other personal plans due to your work commitments?
- Do you often have moments when you think that your quality of life is negatively affected by your work? For example, perhaps you do not have time to meet up with your family members, exercise, or even sleep?
- Do you often take work-related documents with you when you go home, and continue working or handling work-related issues at home?
- Do you often work on weekends, during vacations, or during your rest breaks?
- Do you check your work messages and e-mails after working hours?
- Do you often have days when you feel tired in the morning because you did not get enough sleep?
- Do you often notice that you find it difficult to concentrate due to fatigue, make more mistakes, or fail to perform simple work tasks?
- Have you thought about learning something new or engaging in a new activity, but dismissed this idea because it would be difficult to balance it with your work commitments?
- Do you feel tense after work, on weekends, or during your vacation, because you constantly think about work?
- Do you often have days when you feel like you are not able to keep up with all of your commitments?
- Do your work responsibilities and/or personal commitments often cause you stress and tension?
- Do you often feel tense, or are there often moments when you lose your patience or become irritated when interacting with others, etc.?
- Do your family members and/or friends often feel that you are not giving them enough attention, or that they do not spend enough time with you?
If you answered “Yes” to most of these questions, you are likely having difficulties in balancing your life and work on a daily basis. We invite you to visit other sections of this website to find out what can be done to make balancing work and personal life easier.
10 signs that you have achieved a healthy balance between work and life
- I feel satisfied with my job and work schedule.
- I spend enough time with my partner and children.
- I am able to say “no” to new responsibilities at work or in my personal life because of my current commitments.
- I am able to set clear boundaries between work and rest: I do not work overtime, I do not handle any work-related issues on weekends or vacations, and I do not check my work messages and e-mails after work.
- I get enough sleep and feel well-rested every day. During weekends and vacations, I spend my time resting, focusing on my personal life and hobbies.
- I am happy with my social life. I have enough time to meet up with my family members and friends.
- I have enough time to exercise, engage in sports activities, or enjoy other hobbies at least a few times a week.
- My colleagues and manager support me when I need to leave work early, work from home, or otherwise modify my working hours due to personal commitments.
- My work and personal life do not compete with each other – I can focus my attention on both.
- I am able to overcome any challenges related to my work and personal life in a constructive manner. Any problems that arise do not unhinge me, do not cause me any tension or long-term stress.
Why is there a section for modern fathers but not for modern mothers?
A recent study conducted by the Office of the Equal Opportunities Ombudsperson shows that society favours paternity, family-oriented men, and a more active role of a man in the family, as well as supports all men who do not simply want to be fathers “on paper” or “on weekends”. Nevertheless, men are still often hesitant and reluctant to go on parental leave (according to Sodra, in 2019, women accounted for 76 percent and men for only 24 percent of all persons who took parental leave).
Our “Modern fathers” section is aimed at encouraging all men to get involved in raising their children as early as possible. All the fathers participating in our campaign are real, non-fictional persons who have agreed to share what fatherhood means to them and why it is worth becoming involved in your child’s life from day one.
If you would like to share your own story about fatherhood, please contact us via e-mail: email@example.com or send us a Facebook message in the section “More balance”.
What could help me balance my work and personal life better?
The following measures can help you balance work and personal life:
- Remote work
- Flexible work schedule
- Individual work schedule
- Additional days off
- Part-time work
- Career counselling
- Measures for employees on parental leave
- Workplace guarantees and incentives to employees caring for family members
- Children’s rooms, kindergartens and childcare services
- Informal education services for the children of employees
- Benefits for recreational activities
- Benefits for health promotion
- Benefits or bonuses
The biggest challenges of balancing work and personal life. How to deal with them better?